April 2, 2013

Spring Break--Teaching Gender

Sad news:
I didn't get to adopt the cute little blind yorkie-chihuahua puppy. My mother and brother would leave it outside in the cold when I return to college. The puppy is better off with it's original owner for now.

Night Lights in Chicago, IL
Good news:
Over spring break, I presented research on teamwork in the classroom at the MSS Midwest Sociological Society annual conference in Chicago, Illinois. Wow, the city of Chicago is beautiful!

Great news: 
Throughout the MSS conference, I went to several sessions which prepared burgeoning professors on how to teach courses and how to work with students.

I attended a panel session about teaching gender. Four professors of WGST studies discussed their tactics on how to teach gender. One professor actually created a Facebook page for her students to think more critically about daily Facebook posts from their friends. Students would share these posts on their course's Facebook page. They would all engage in commenting critically about it.

After the panel discussion, the audience could share more tactics on teaching gender and ask questions. I shared our blogging communication style with them, and I also shared the idea of how feminism is found online through blogs and websites. And that the internet is a new space for raising consciousness about feminism.  There are also women who created scholarly blogs while publishing journal articles. The discourse of feminism can be found through this digital space.

Another session had 2 female professors of color who spoke about how they experienced racism from their students. One professor shared how a student came up to tell her, "I don't think you understood my paper," implying that the Latina professor wasn't proficient enough in English [because English is not her first language]. The professor, however, responded by saying, "Yes! I didn't understand your paper! That's why you got a C+."

2 comments:

  1. The conference sounds very exciting. Congratulations on presenting. Audience awareness is the common ground for the FB page and blogs used in classes. Did you get any interesting responses to your input about the feminist blogosphere? The professor's response to the student prejudice is perfect. Your break sounds productive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Members of the audience built upon my feminist blogosphere comment. They shared how they too enjoy blogging. I feel this may have influenced professors and future professors in the room to incorporate blogging activities in their future courses.

    ReplyDelete