May 2, 2013

ENOUGH! Campaign

Solidarity
Yesterday, over a hundred people joined together in solidarity against hate crimes at St. Olaf College.

Some students walked over to Buntrock Commons right when it was 2:45pm--having left class ten minutes early to grab other people's attention in hope that they'd follow to support the cause. A few professors even canceled their class so that their students may support this cause with their presence.

It was nice to see professors in the crowd. I saw about ten or twelve professors. My philosophy professor gave me a hug when she saw me. It's been a while since I had taken Philosophy of Feminism with her. Many professors were from the Sociology and Anthropology department.

Student organizers of this event stood on a bench holding their speech notes and a big black megaphone. They spoke into the megaphoneStudent leaders addressed a series of hate crimes that occurred on campus within a year. They wanted to push for having a more effective institutional way of dealing with hate crimes on campus since it is poorly managed. They also wanted for all the students, staff, and faculty in the crowd to have more open discussions about these hate crimes and to create a safer place for every single person of any diverse background here at St. Olaf College. The student leaders also presented signatures of those who were in solidarity with these issues. There were 371 signatures (including more after this event). Next, other speakers stood on the bench and engaged the audience in an activity like so:

If anyone has ever made you feel uncomfortable because of your race, sex, religion, ethnicity, sexual orientation, etcetera, raise your fist and shout "YEAH!"

This activity is similar to the "please take one step back if you are underprivileged because of ____". Those who end up in the back of the room are the least privileged in society. I do not like these activities. It is alienating. The wealthy white heterosexual male privileged person usually doesn't have to raise his fist up in the air. This activity just brings me more shame, hate, and isolation. I am usually the one who ends up in the very back of the room. And I was the one, at this ENOUGH! rally, to raise my fist and shout "YEAH" nearly each time. What did I really gain from this activity? I get a sense that I am united with those who experience oppression like I do, but then again I also feel miserable.

Overall, I do not believe that most people gain anything in the end--no extraordinary enlightenment. This activity is not critical enough.

What happens to the most privileged person?

Some are secretly shouting within, "Oh yeah, I have all the privilege in the world!" Or are either in full sympathy and guilt, which is not productive. Activities like these need an extra element of critical analysis or something else! I don't know. These are my biases and critiques. To what extent do you believe these activities are effective? Do you have an idea of how it may be improved?

2 comments:

  1. I appreciate hearing your perspective on the rally. The "take a step" activities you describe are based on Paul Kivel's workshops and his activities for raising race, class, and gender privilege. His methods are more complex than the ones that usually happen as classroom activities. The dilution of the activities may result in the alienating experience you describe. Your suggestion for critical reflection is a good one. Is there a way to reflect on the rally that's still timely? Or should future organizers try a different kind of activity to inspire unity?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for his name. I am interested in reading some of his books and knowing more about his workshops and activities. I don't have any answers to your questions. Maybe in 5 years... Hmm.

    ReplyDelete